With the pink of October fading behind us, and the festive colors of the winter holiday season ahead, I find myself starting to ponder Where did the year go?
Itâ€™s a question I always seem to find myself asking around this time of year. Thereâ€™s just something about planning for Thanksgiving that makes me realize how fast time has gone. This yearâ€™s celebration will bring together quite a crowd, with my daughter, niece, and nephew all descending from different college campuses to join our usual group in Los Angeles. Iâ€™m looking forward to being home and having everyone together to celebrate the holiday and one another.
So much of what I am thankful for this year relates not only to my family and friends, but also to my work at the Foundation.Â I am very fortunate to have a mission that sustains and inspires me and to work with people who share my passion for ending this diseaseâ€”NOW! This year, weâ€™ve had so much growthâ€”we have, literally, had to take over the offices next door!Â As we gear up our efforts to find the cause of breast cancer we are bringing on new staff and attracting new funders to grow the Army of Women and launch the Health of Women study. Next will be an expansion of the research team. Itâ€™s so much to be thankful for!
Of course, none of this would be possible without all of the women and men, like you, who believe in our work and support our efforts to go beyond a cure and end this disease.Â Iâ€™m so very grateful for:
- The 345,000 women and men who have joined the Army of Women.
- The hundreds ofÂ you who took part in MammoJam2010, the 3rd annual Pacific Palisades Love Walk, and other Foundation events.
- All of you who responded to my requests for stories for the new edition of my Breast Book. It was released in September, and your thoughts and questions helped me to make this edition the best yet.
- The thousands of you who donate to the Foundation each year to support our work.
- The amazing women who I met while traveling around the country this year talking about the Army of Women, the Foundation, and my book. I am inspired by your determination to want to end this disease.
And thatâ€™s only beginningâ€¦.
I want all of you who have supported the Foundation this year to know how grateful I am. I truly could not do it without you!
PSâ€”Weâ€™re in the running again this month for the Pepsi Refresh Project. We came so close to wining last monthâ€”and this month, weâ€™re more determined than ever! Vote for us todayâ€”and everyday throughout November here.