News from the Executive Director

I am thrilled to let you know that the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, in partnership with the Beckman Research Institute, is officially launching the Health of Women (HOW) Study!

The road to the launch of the HOW Study has been long. It took us more than three years to plan and develop this special study, and we could not have done it without your support. Many of you participated in our pilot for this project in 2009, providing invaluable feedback. Now, the official unveiling of the HOW website is here, and we are thrilled to finally be inviting women from throughout the world to take part in HOW the only online study open to all women over the age of 18, with or without a history of breast cancer.

HOW is dedicated to asking the questions about breast cancer that researchers and you want answered. The technological advances that have transformed how we communicate in the 21st century have expanded what is possible in research and medicine. Through HOW, we are using these new technologies to answer age-old questions like: What causes breast cancer? Who is at risk? How can we prevent breast cancer from occurring?

To answer these questions, HOW will follow breast cancer survivors (women and men) to identify predictors of survival as well as short- and long-term treatment related side effects. HOW also will study women (and men who are at high risk of getting breast cancer) who have not been diagnosed with breast cancer. This will help us gain insights into why the majority of women diagnosed with this disease have none of the known clinical risk factors, and allow us to identify new ones.

Importantly, HOW is not only for or limited to learning more about breast cancer in the United States. HOW is the first-ever global online study designed to examine causes, treatment, and prevention of breast cancer. To make this possible, HOW can be accessed online through any desktop computer; and soon it will be accessible from your mobile phone making it easier for anyone, and everyone, to be part of the study.

Earlier this year, we had the opportunity to tell editors at many of the leading womens magazines about HOW, and they were nearly as excited about it as we are. So keep an eye out for articles about HOW in the October issues of Good Housekeeping, Glamour, Prevention, and more.

The HOW Study is about all of us, and how our data and personal health information can give us a better understanding of breast cancer. We cant do this study without you, so go to www.healthofwomenstudy.org and sign up today. And tell your family members and friends to sign up too.

In order to continue to do important, revolutionary studies, like HOW, the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation needs your financial support more than ever. To make a donation to support HOW and our other research projects, click here.

Sincerely,
Naz Sykes
Executive Director

P.S. I am also thrilled to report that Dr. Love has had a successful bone marrow transplant and is on the road to recovery. She is feeling great, and will be back blogging very soon!

Share →

12 Responses to The Health of Women Study Launch Is Here

1. Karen Silver says:

I am a breast cancer survivor — eight years since diagnosis and surgery. How can I participate?

2. Dr.Barbra Rubin says:

Please tell Susan that I am happy to hear that she is doing better.
    I would be happy to help with the study.

3. I think you should attend our February, 2013, Washington, DC international conference “Selling Sickness, 2013: People before profits” and present this project as an example of grassroots, consumer-coordinated initiative. Our call for papers ends on Oct 1: http://sellingsickness.com/call-for-papers/

4. Dena Sousa says:

Have not had Breast Cancer..Have a long family history of cancer..Would be happy to participate..Just let me know how…

5. Lynn DaCosse says:

Please tell Susan we are so pleased she is over the bone marrow transplant milestone and wish her well as she continues her journey. I am looking forward to participaing in HOW. I am a 6 year survivor now and lost my Mom to breast cancer in 1981. Thank you, Lynn DaCosse

6. Mona V. says:

So glad to hear Dr. Love has jumped that hurdle and is on her way back to us. Hope she also takes some time for herself to “smell the roses” before she gets back on the horse.

7. Morgen Hall says:

Sending my Very Best Wishes, and continued gratitude to the Wonderful and Amazing Dr. Susan Love !!!

I agree with Mona V. – much as we all need you, I do hope you have some lovely time out planned for yourself !

As a four year survivor of BC, I am very happy to join the HOW study and will click on the web link now !

With BIG Love to you Dr. Love,
    Morgen Hall

8. Sue J. says:

I am a 3 year survivor, and am thrilled to participate in HOW. Hugs to you Dr. Love and thanks for all you have done for all of us! Now take care of yourself first:-).

9. We are so glad to hear that Dr. Love is doing so well.

10. Wencke Haug says:

I am so happy to see dr Love is getting better and wish her all the best in her recovery

11. L Nielsen says:

If we are asking ” How can we prevent breast cancer from occurring?”, why are we not aggressively looking at modern environmental contributions in areas of high incidence?

12. Miriam Shepas says:

Im happy to be a part of this study, I hope that Dr. Love continues to recover and hope she can also be of help to Robin Roberts who is going through much of the same problems.
    Im a two time suvivor of breast cancer, having it 7 years apart.The second time having a masectomy , also the second time I had it in the samme breast but it was 3 different cancers…I hope this study finds a lot of answers, Im happy to be part of it.